Wednesday 29 June 2011

Gran Turismo 5 (eventually, I'm assuming)

I'm occasionally a bit behind the curve when it comes to gaming. Given the appalling state of some titles on release day, I've found that it's quite often sensible to wait a while until the first few patches have come out to address the glaring problems that the initial 'gold' build shipped with regardless.

So it's not until today that I got a copy of Gran Turismo 5 for the PS3 (pre-owned). I shove the disk in, and immediately have to download the better part of three quarters of a gigabyte of patches. As soon as this non-backgroundable download starts, I fire up the PS2, switch to component input, restore a save of Shadow of the Colossus, and then spend the next half hour beating the 9th colossus. I save that game, and switch back to the PS3 on HDMI in. The patches still haven't finished downloading, so I switch to DVI in and boot the Linux box, do some simple updates and routine administration, then check in on the PS3 again. Hey, all the patches are down! Maybe I'll get the play the game.

Or maybe not: right at the start, the game carries the advice that installing 8GB to hard disk can speed up loading times. Now, if the game developers felt the need to admit that, you know that there are going to be problems, so I click 'yes', and see an estimated time of a paltry 14 seconds. Good! Oh, wait: that's the preparation time before it can start installing: the actual estimate is more like 30 minutes.

So, I take the time to write this blog post, and it's still installing.

What the hell happened to console gaming?

No comments:

Post a Comment